About This Recipe
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 sprig (about 1 Tbsp) rosemary, leaves stripped off stem
- 1 sprig (about 1 Tbsp) oregano, leaves stripped off stem
- 1 handful (about 1/2 cup / 8 g) parsley leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 twists freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups (220 g) button (or cremini or portobello) mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (to brush on the mushrooms)
Step 1Blend the oil, herbs, salt, and pepper in a blender or food processor until you have a vivid green paste. Set aside.
Step 2Light the grill. Halve or quarter the mushrooms depending on their size and thread them onto skewers. Brush them with a little oil and grill them well on all sides so they catch a solid browning and pick up some smoke. Put the grilled mushrooms in a bowl, toss them thoroughly with the herb oil, and if possible, let them marinate for an hour or so before serving.
Substitutions: Parboiled new or fingerling potatoes are dreamy this way, and pearl onions love it too
Level Up: If you can get chanterelles, they make for an incredible fungal upgrade. In that case, skip the herbs and just use olive oil with a little salt and garlic added; that way their beautiful orange color can shine
Try It With: Other grilled veggies
Zero Waste: Parsley stems and mushroom trimmings can go in the stock pot