About This Recipe
Note: If you would like to make one serving, this recipe is easily quartered; use the tiniest pinch of asafetida (optional). Sattu is available at Indian markets and online.
- About 1 cup (200 g) of sattu (roasted chana dal flour)
- 4 cups (1 liter) of water, chilled or at room temperature
- Black salt for seasoning
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 finely chopped green chiles (optional)
- ½ cup (40 g) finely chopped cilantro
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) cumin powder
- A pinch of asafetida (optional)
- Juice of 2 lemons or limes
Step 1Stir the sattu in 1 cup of water, mix well to ensure there are no lumps. Pour this into your serving jug or a big vessel. Add 3 more cups of water, the chopped onions, chile, cilantro, cumin powder, asafetida, and season with black salt. Mix well. Squeeze some lemon juice. This makes 1 liter. Pour and serve in glasses.
Level Up: Add boondi (crunchy drops of fried chickpea flour batter) for added texture.