About This Recipe
Note: If you want to make your own breadcrumbs, cut bread into cubes and bake on a baking sheet in a 300°F/150°C oven until crunchy, 10 to 15 minutes. When cool, pulse in a food processor to breadcrumb consistency. This recipe makes more dressing than you might need for the salad; any leftover will keep in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Shiitake Mushroom Bacon
- 2 cups (85 g) shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tsp grapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) coconut aminos
- 1½ tsp agave syrup
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tsp Old Bay
- 1 cup (200 g) soy-free vegan mayonnaise (such as Veganaise)
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp (7 g) onion powder
- 1/2 Tbsp (7 g) salt
- 2½ Tbsp (40 ml) lemon juice
- 1¼ cups (60 g) chives, finely chopped (reserve some for garnish)
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, trimmed and cut into 4 wedges
- 4 oz (120 g) grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup (40 g) Shiitake Mushroom Bacon
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (17 g) breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp (25 g) salted sunflower seeds
Step 1Make the mushroom bacon: Heat the oven to 400°F/200°C. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, use your hands to coat the mushrooms with the oil, coconut aminos, agave syrup, liquid smoke, and Old Bay. Spread the mushrooms in an even single layer. Transfer to the oven and bake until the mushrooms are crispy, about 15 minutes.
Step 2Make the vegan ranch dressing: In a bowl, whisk together the vegan mayonnaise, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, lemon juice, and chives until everything is incorporated. Set aside in the refrigerator. (This makes about 1½ cups dressing; store any left over in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.)
Step 3Put the lettuce wedges on 4 plates. Divide the toppings evenly among the plates: tomatoes, shiitake mushroom bacon, diced red onion, breadcrumbs, and sunflower seeds. Top with the vegan ranch dressing as desired. Garnish with chives. Serve immediately.